Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Just Try the Fried Pickle Already!

The following conversation, or a similar one, has been had more times than I can count over the years.  It could be regarding food, sports, whatever:

DH:  "Try ___________."
THB: "No, I don't like it."
DH: "Have you ever tried it?"
THB: "No."
DH:  "Then how do you know you don't like it?"

It is difficult to argue with that kind of logic.  Grr.  I used to try.  Hard.  Unfortunately, DH has this way of being ridiculously rational.  He also has a way of keeping at a person until they give in and just try the fried pickle already!

In our early days I spent hours trying to talk my way out of doing things I didn't want to do.  In the end I would give in (frequently just because I knew it was the only way to get any peace about it).  What I've found time and time again, though, is that I like all sorts of things that I thought I didn't.  I've found that I'm so much more capable than I ever thought myself to be.  I've found that it is okay not to be good at everything and that sometimes things are fun even if you aren't all that good at it.  I'm frequently "not that good" at stuff, so you can trust me on that :o)

I'm still a little hesitant from time to time...but I'm much more likely these days to jump right into something new.  I'd love to hear about a time when you were surprised by something you didn't want to try...but ended up loving.  Post in comments!

1 comment:

  1. Chinese food. Need I say more? LOL Friends have tried to get me to try Chinese for YEARS, all through high school & my adult life. The reason I tried it? My oldest two and DH *LOVE* it, so I wanted to like something that we could do/have as a family that wasn't a "typical" meal during the week. My youngest doesn't like it, but I am hoping he will eventually come around as well :)

    Tried & Like: Orange Chicken, Beijing Beef, Sweet & Sour Chicken

    ReplyDelete